Update 30 Aug 2014: This change is now in effect. If you’re still running any versions below 2.1 you won’t be able to post likes/comments/follows. Please upgrade to version 2.1 as soon as possible.
Recently there has been a lot of feedback about unable to post like/comment on Retro. The reason is that starting Jul 19 2014, Instagram have started to impose a new limit for these following API endpoints:
Unsigned Calls (per OAuth token):
- POST /media/media-id/likes: 30/hour
- POST /media/media-id/comments: 15/hour
- POST /users/user-id/relationships: 20/hour
Signed Calls (per OAuth token):
- POST /media/media-id/likes: 100/hour
- POST /media/media-id/comments: 60/hour
- POST /users/user-id/relationships: 60/hour
As Retro is a client side app, we would not be able to use the signed calls limit unless most of our users upgraded to the newest version (version 2.1 and above). Fortunately, the good news is that with iOS 7 automatic app update, it would take just about a week for 90% of our users to upgrade to a new version.
We’ll make the switch on 29 August 2014 and hopefully the minority of users will upgrade to the latest version.